½ medium head lettuce
1 medium green bell pepper
1 large tomato
1 small jalapeño pepper
½ medium red onion
2 cloves garlic
2 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese
1 (15½-ounce) can black beans, no salt added
1 pound lean ground beef, chicken, or turkey
1 (12-ounce) bag frozen corn
½ cup water
¾ teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
Pinch ground black pepper
8 (6-inch) whole wheat flour tortillas
Large skillet with lid
- Rinse lettuce, bell pepper, tomato, and jalapeño. Rinse and peel onion. Peel garlic.
- Chop or shred lettuce into bitesize pieces. Mince garlic. Halve the jalapeño and bell peppers. Remove seeds with the tip of a knife. Dice peppers.
- Over a small bowl, grate tomato and onion using the coarse side of a box grater. Collect all pulp and juices.
- Grate cheddar cheese.
- In a colander, drain and rinse beans.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook meat, bell pepper, and garlic, until meat is lightly browned. Drain to remove fat.
- Stir in frozen corn, beans, water, and spices. Bring mixture to a boil. Lower heat and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until most liquid is gone.
- While meat mixture is simmering, make a salsa. Add jalapeño and a pinch of salt to the grated tomato and onion. Stir and set aside.
- Divide the meat mixture evenly among the 8 tortillas. Top each with grated cheese, salsa, and lettuce. Roll up and serve.
Use any type of cooked beans in place of the black beans.
For a vegetarian option, use an extra can of drained and rinsed beans in place of the meat.
To increase heat, leave a few seeds from the jalapeño in the salsa. Or, season with an extra pinch of cayenne pepper.
Top with rinsed and chopped tomatoes, green onions, low-fat sour cream, or low-fat plain yogurt, if you like.
*Adapted from Share Our Strength’s Cooking Matters.®